The hunt for a signature fragrance is like the search for Mr. Right or for the right shade of red lipstick. And once found—you’re hard pressed to let them slip away. But in order to avoid becoming the fragrance equivalent of one of those disillusioned souls with outdated coral lip hues, you do eventually need to update your scent style (even if you stick with the same man).
Not only are there just TOO many good items on the shelves to stick with one brew, but it’s boring for your senses (and everyone else’s!) After only four or five days of sniffing the same mixture, you stop smelling it properly, a nasal wear-down called olfactory fatigue. So imagine what happens after four or five years.
So where to begin?
Even if you found your favorite fragrance in 1981, don’t become so dedicated that you’ll feel unfaithful spritzing another mix. You may be surprised what you find out there—because after all, there are thousands of women’s fragrances on the market today. Use the Fragrance Finder to update an old time love of a fragrance with something new and modern. After all, sticking to one scent is like having one pair of shoes in a great big world of Manolo and Jimmy Choos.
The Die-Hard Romantic
If you are a die hard romantic and relate best to Jennifer Aniston, Anne Hathaway, or Goldie Hawn, you’ll love these scents:
- Summer: Try J’Adore by Dior, an elegant floral scent with bright citrus notes
- Winter: Try the classic Chanel No. 5, a rich floral aldehyde touched by warm amber notes
- Date Night: Try Beautiful by Estee Lauder, a romantic scent of soft and feminine florals
The Outgoing Socialite
If you are a socialite, party-girl and relate best to Alyssa Milano, Madonna, or Gwen Stefani, you’ll love these scents:
- Summer: Try Ma dame by Jean Paul Gaultier an overtly feminine, vibrant fragrance spirited for the fearless wearer
- Winter: Try Obsession by Calvin Klein, an ambery oriental fragrance with compelling exotic spices
- Date Night: Try 1 Le Bateleur by Dolce and Gabbana, a spicy, seductive fragrance referred to as the “Lover’s Tarot Card” as the passionate charmer
The City Slicker
If you are a busy, trendy city slicker and relate best to Sarah Jessica Parker, Agyness Dean, or Ashley Olsen,you’ll love these scents:
- Summer: Try 212 by Carolina Herrera, a fresh and hip floral fragrance laced with powdery woods
- Winter: Try Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent, an elegant and luminous fragrance with a delicate dose of florals blended with patchoui, sandalwood and vetiver
- Date Night: Try Idole D’Armani by Giorgio Armani, a sophisticated and sensual woody fragrance inspired by the designer’s ideal vision of femininity
The Quiet Stay-at-Home Girl
If you are a quiet homebody and relate best to Cynthia Nixon, Emma Watson,or Gwyneth Paltrow, you’ll love these scents:
- Summer: Try Angel by Thierry Mugler,a soft oriental vanilla that is sweet and warm and tinged with fresh citrus
- Winter: Try Sensuous by Estee lauder, a warm honey and sandalwood base with hints of black pepper and ylang ylang
- Date Night: Try Allure by Chanel, a tangy oriental meant to project “an innocent seduction without artifice”
By Jessica Linnay for Perfume.com