Helmut Lang’s recent spring/summer 2014 runway show at New York Fashion Week was the epitome of cool. Creative Directors Nicole and Michael Colovos wanted to create a line that not only paid tribute to Lang, but also hinted at contemporary artist Wade Guyton's clean and crisp white paintings. The duo added their own flare; broad lines of hot pink dazzled among the simple black and white. The focused color palate wasn't the only contrast in the collection. Boyish suits and sheath dresses lacked real structure, part of Colovos’ interest in easy silhouettes.
Helping to bring the Helmut Lang’s vintage-style to life was Lead Stylist Paul Hanlon from UNITE Hair. “The look was inspired by Helmut Lang's designs, which were a nod back to the '90s. I wanted the hair to have strong, clean lines to balance the baggier clothes. It is a bit masculine, but chic, and refined.” Hanlon gave the runway models slick and smooth styles around their faces, with a less structured look in the back.
To get the slick and controlled look without the crunchy feel, follow these steps:
- Prep the hair with a thermal protectant hair prep like UNITE 7Seconds Condition. Then use a blow dryer and a paddle brush to achieve pin-straight locks.
- Next, apply a hair mousse like UNITE Session Whip. For best results, apply the mousse liberally from roots to ends and continue to blow dry until the hair is completely dry.
- To create the distinct side part, use a rattail comb to perfectly section off the hair to one side and continue to blow dry the hair straight down.
- Next take 2-inch sections of hair and spray the roots of each one with the a firm-hold hairspray like UNITE Max Control. As with the previous steps, continue to use a blow dryer to set the hair.
- To complete this look, pull the hair into a low, loose ponytail at the nape of the neck and secure with an elastic. Then wrap the ponytail with a black leather hair accessory to cover the elastic (Hanlon used one designed by Helmut Lang).
- To finish, loosen some of the strands along the sides for an effortless, natural look.
Photos: Courtesy UNITE Hair