It seems everyone is going "green" these days, and there's a good chance you've also hopped on the eco bandwagon—whether that means toting reusable shopping bags to your local farmer's market or composting your food scraps in the backyard. But when it comes to your beauty routine, the thought of trading all of your tried-and-true products for all-natural skin care is a little scary, right? Jodi Shays, an esthetician to Hollywood's elite and owner of the Queen Bee salons in Los Angeles, urges you to fear not. There are plenty of chemical-free skin-care products that work even better than your old, paraben-filled favorites, Shays says.
"I for one feel better about putting a natural product on my skin rather than a product where the ingredients speak a language that I don't understand," she says. "If you find the right product, manufactured by the right people, you'll become a believer." Here, estheticians from around the country share the natural skin-care picks that made them believers—products they know you'll love, too.
1. Shiva Rose Facial Oil by The Local Rose, $85. The price may seem a bit steep, but this oil is handmade with 100 percent rose oil, which calms inflammation and redness and helps treat acne. "The benefits of this blend of ingredients are endless," Shays says. "I've found that my rosacea has diminished and my skin has more bounce. All the organic oils—jojoba, rose hip, kukui nut, argan, camelina, sea buckthorn, and vitamin E—work harmoniously together to transform skin."
2. iSun Vegan Moisturizing Mask by iSun Hawaii, $39. "This product leaves my skin feeling like silk," Shays says. It's loaded with virgin coconut oil, raw cacao, raw shea butter, goji and acai berry extracts, and blue agave nectar. "This product is pure enough to eat, and I'm convinced that is a big reason why it's so effective," Shays adds.
3. Body Bliss, $7–$40. When pushed to choose one natural skin-care product he loves most, Erik Sears, the treatment manager at the Well & Being Spa at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess Hotel in Arizona, says he can't choose just one—the entire Body Bliss line is that amazing. "Nick James, Body Bliss founder and CEO, personally goes out and sources the ingredients, so he is able to tell you where they were grown and how they were harvested," Sears says. All the products are free of paraben preservatives, synthetic fragrances, mineral oils, phthalates, and harsh sulfate cleansers. Plus, they're packaged in recyclable or recycled containers and are also cruelty-free.
4. Espresso Mud Body Scrub by Naturopathica, $32. "The amazing smell of coffee, chocolate, and a light touch of tobacco makes this one of my all-time favorite natural skin-care products," Sears says. "It's used in our purification ritual treatment at Well & Being Spa, and you walk out smelling amazing and feeling so soft and relaxed." The mix of finely ground coffee and tobacco in this scrub exfoliates and draws out impurities, and the black silt clay and shea butter regenerate and moisturize skin.
5. Youth Serum by Arcona, $87. Arcona's philosophy pretty much sums up why their natural skin-care line is a favorite among estheticians across the country: "We believe lasting beauty comes from within—whatever you put on your skin goes into your body. We use only the finest quality, pure, and powerful ingredients in products that penetrate deep into the cellular layers of the skin to effect real change, resulting in glowing, healthy skin at any age." Erin Guglielmino, the lead esthetician at Aji spa in Chandler, Arizona, loves all the products in this line because of their amazing ability to moisturize without feeling too heavy or greasy. Tsege Kebede, lead esthetician at Agua Serena Spa in Palm Springs, California, agrees, adding that she's seen the Youth Serum keep her clients' skin (and her own) glowing for years. "The active enzymes, amino acids, and antioxidants in this product are all natural and very potent, which means you see results quickly."
6. Eminence Organics, $25–$130. Here's another line where estheticians are hard-pressed to choose a favorite. All these natural skin-care products are made using organic fruit pulps, plants, and spices, making each rich in nutrients and highly effective. Carol Ford, spa director at Agave, The Arizona Spa at the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale, says their top sellers are Eminence's Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant with Lactic Acid, the Bamboo Firming Fluid, and the Monoi Age Corrective Night Cream. Stefanie Santos, a master esthetician at SkinCareRx, adds that the entire Eminence line is "hands down the most natural and organic line that I have ever come across." Santos's favorite is the Lime Stimulating Mask, which tightens skin and makes your complexion glow. "It's perfect to do a couple hours before a big event," she says.