Each year, October 31st brings with it a chance to carve the face of KISS front man Gene Simmons in your pumpkin, dress up as a sexy version of Jasmine from Aladdin, dance to the “Monster Mash” at a masquerade with your honey and, most importantly, stuff your face with as much sugary goodness as you can possibly muster. Even though you’ll most likely be clutching your aching stomach the next morning, Halloween and candy are inseparable, because you simply can’t have one without the other.
Hollywood isn’t innocent either when it comes to indulging in candy on All Hallows’ Eve. Celebrities may stay in shape thanks to strict diets, but everyone has been known to splurge once in a while. In fact, places like Dylan’s Candy in New York City honor those celebrity sugar binges by dedicating a whole wall of treats to all of their favorites. Here are five candies that have been officially endorsed (at least verbally) by some of your favorite Tinseltown hotshots:
1. Twix: In the aftermath of trick-or-treating, Miley Cyrus treated her candy bag like the stock market by trading pretty much anything she had for her favorite indulgence, Twix bars. “All I wanted was a Twix,” she told People. “I was like, ‘Can I go through your bag and get me a Twix out?’ That’s all I really like.”
2. Candy Corn: Sometimes it’s best to just stick with what’s classic. Now, you may think, given her hit song “Pieces of Me,” that Ashlee Simpson may be partial to Reese’s, but it just isn’t so. Instead, she proclaims, “The candy corns! Christmas is peppermint, and Halloween is candy corn.”
3. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups: Amanda Bynes isn’t just indecisive when it comes to acting (first announcing that she’s taking an early retirement and shortly after re-emerging again), but she’s also mixes it up when it comes to her preferred sugar fix. ”My favorite Halloween candy would be a cross between Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups or Peanut Butter M&M’s,” she says. “Anything peanut butter.”
4. Sour Patch Kids: Even superstars have bad habits. Justin Bieber’s is eating too much candy, reports Seventeen. “I like Sour Patch Kids,” he says. Supermodel Brooklyn Decker shares his addiction: “If it were legal, I’d marry a Sour Patch Kid.”
5. Bit-O-Honey: Some may call him a comedic genius, but even Jerry Seinfeld couldn’t come up with something this fitting. Shortly after Bee Movie, the animated flick he created, came out, he was ironically quoted as admitting, “You’ll think I’m saying this to be funny, but my favorite Halloween candy really is Bit-O-Honey. It’s always been Bit-O-Honey. If you go into Dylan’s Candy on Third Avenue in Manhattan, you’ll see my name is up there with a picture of me with Bit-O-Honey, because that’s my favorite.”
Whether you prefer sweet, sour or chocolaty varieties of candy in your trick-or-treat sack, and whether you’re an accountant or a movie star, sugary treats have always been a staple on Halloween.
With that in mind, what’s your favorite candy, and why?
By Jessica DeRubbo for Cupid’s Pulse