Yellowstone tours have become more popular in the past few years due to the reluctance of many Americans to travel abroad. The Yellowstone Canyon, waterfalls, hot spring geysers, and active volcanoes also bring in visitors from around the world. If you have not been it is a great time to go right now and well worth the time and money you will spend there. Here are a few tips to help you plan and enjoy your Yellowstone tour:
1. Book well in advance. The popularity of Yellowstone tours makes availability on short notice nearly impossible. Book about six months out if you can and prepay it. You’ll know that you have something to look forward to and can just bring spending money when the time comes.
2. Tour with a reputable company that has been around for a while. Yellowstone tours can be a lot of fun but not if your driver gets lost or doesn’t have any previous experience or knowledge of the park. If it’s your first time you will have questions and an inexperienced tour guide will not be able to answer them.
3. Pack two bags, one for the days and one for the nights. You’ll be traveling on a bus so you won’t want to have to dig through all of your belongings to pull out that bag of Snickers you brought along for a snack. Pack a day bag that will fit in the overhead compartment so you can throw your luggage underneath.
4. Take the longer tour if you are able. Most Yellowstone tour companies offer four day, six day, or seven day tours. Take the longer one if you can so you can take your time and enjoy the wonders that Mother Nature has to show you.
5. Bring a good camera and lots of film. Yellowstone National Park is a once in a lifetime sight that you will want to preserve on film. If you have a digital camera, bring extra memory or make sure you download every night. There is a lot to see and you’ll want to show your friends.
6. A final tip. Do not stray from the group. Yellowstone is not Jellystone with a friendly Yogi the Bear around looking to pilfer picnic baskets. There are real wild animals in the park and many other hazards that you will not want to deal with if you get lost. Stay with the others and get back on the bus when it’s time to leave. You’ll enjoy yourself far more and get to spend your nights in a warm, dry hotel room.