Embellished sweatshirts are so on trend this fall and winter, and there's no better way to make a statement while staying warm as the temperatures continue to drop. Whether it’s crystals, lips, or hearts adorning your sleeves, follow along to create your own embellished number!
Image: Kerry Washington courtesy of Featureflash / Shutterstock.com.
A few weeks ago I stumbled across an image of the lovely Kerry Washington rocking this Stella McCartney 2014 Resort embellished shift dress at the 2013 Teen Choice Awards. Dripping in jewels, beads, and crystal embellishments, the dress had me at hello. While celebrities can afford to adorn themselves in such a luxurious dresses, mere mortals like myself cannot, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and create a similar piece that I could rock both day and night!
For this DIY you’ll need:
- Sweater or Sweatshirt
- Needle & Thread
- Sequin Iron-on Embellishments
- Iron-on Loose Crystals
- Crystal Buttons
- Pearl Buttons
Follow my step-by-step directions below to create your unique embellished sweatshirt.
- Map out your design. Start by placing your embellishments on the front of your sweater as you see fit. Make sure to mix and match. Play with the sizing of each item. As I started placing items, I ended up moving things around a few times.
- Next, iron on the patches to determine the base pattern with the sequin lips and hearts. Each patch needs to be held under the iron for 20-40 seconds to adhere to the fabric. Make sure you’re using an ironing board or hard surface so you can get good adhesion.
- Start attaching your buttons. Thread the needle through the button loop and through the front layer of fabric. Make sure you don’t sew the front and back of the sweater together! Secure each button with multiple loops and tie off the thread on the inside of the sweater.
- With any empty space, add additional designs. I added two arrows with loose iron-on crystals, one to the left chest and the other on the bottom of the sweatshirt. Once all the embellishments are secured, your creation is ready to wear!
Pair your sweater with tights and a pleated leather skirt or with a pair of skinny jeans and black ankle booties this season!
Not in the mood to DIY this decorative sweater? No worries! I've rounded up some of my favorite already-embellished items ready for purchase, but beware, most of them will cost you a pretty penny.