You've seen them on trendsetters, celebs, and on the runway. No doubt about it: Hand chains are hot. But they don't have to cost an arm or a leg (or a hand). We'll show you how to make a chic DIY hand chain with these instructions.
- Any length gold chain
- Measuring tape
- Wire cutters small enough to cut through small chain links
- Gold jump rings (4mm shown here)
- Chain-nose pliers
- 1 gold lobster clasp
1. Create the bracelet portion of your hand chain. Measure your wrist using a measuring tape. (Mine was 6 inches around.)
2. Cut a length of chain using wire cutters.
3. Finish the bracelet by adding a jump ring to one end of the chain. Use pliers to open the jump ring just slightly so you can add the chain link onto it; squeeze the jump ring shut using pliers. On the other end, add the lobster clasp to a jump ring, and connect it to the chain.
4. Next, place a jump ring in the middle of your bracelet. This is where the middle chain will be placed to connect to the ring you'll have on your finger.
5. Measure a length of chain that stretches from the jump ring on your bracelet to the finger where you'll wear your ring. Cut the length of chain using wire cutters and set it aside. (Mine was 3.5 inches long.)
6. For the ring portion, measure your middle finger using your measuring tape (and add a few extra centimeters for good measure). Cut the chain this length, and add a jump ring to one end of the chain; bring it around and connect to create a ring.
7. Attach a jump ring to one end of the middle chain and connect it to the ring portion. Connect the other end of the middle chain to the jump ring on the bracelet. Everything is connected now! Tip: I like to connect the jump rings to each other for ease.
8. Now you've got a basic hand chain! You can either finish here or if you're feeling creative, add more connecting chains as I did. For this hand chain, I added diagonal chains on each side of the middle chain.
Here's a Pin-able version with all the steps and a finished image.
Need some inspiration when you're creating your own hand chain? Check out these different chain designs you can incorporate into your own project.
If you love making jewelry, head over to A Sparkle Affair for more inspiration!