- Love your job, but never fall in-love with your company because you’ll never know when the company stops loving you.
Some people work twelve hours a day, six days a week or more … reasons??
- Because of work emergency where it’s only temporary
- Others have put up with it not knowing why they are working at all or they’re just addicted to the workplace.
Whatever the reason for putting in overtime and working for long hours, in the long run is harmful for both the person and the organization.
The Bad Effects:
- Being in the office for too long makes way for POTENTIAL ERRORS
- Making mistakes are commonly caused by FATIGUE
- People who are in the office are not a pleasant company
- They are often complaining, irritable, or even cranky
Tips for Managers:
These are the things to do to help people leave the office:
1. Set an example and go home yourself
2. Encourage people to put some balance in their lives. For instance, here is a guideline which can be very helpful:
Step 1: Wake up, eat a good breakfast and go to work
Step 2: Work hard and smart for 8 to 9 hours
Step 3: Go home
Step 4: Read books/ magazines, watch a funny movie, play with your kids..etc,
Step 5: Eat well and sleep well
This is called re-creating, doing steps 1, 3, 4, 5, enables step 2.
Working regular hours and re-creating daily are simple concepts, but they are hard for most of us because that requires “Personal Change”, while in other views it is very possible since we have all the power to choose to do them.
An Illustration …
A little boy keeps himself awake for long hours because he was afraid he would miss something, then sleeps after all the fun things have happened in their house, and by this time he was “Over Tired” and have the loudest tantrums which his parents paid the price for his fear of missing out.
What’s the Point?
Perhaps some people put in such long hours because they don’t want to miss anything when they leave the office.
The problem with this is that events will never stop happening THAT’S LIFE.
Things happen twenty-four hours a day allowing for little rest is not ultimately practical, so take a nap. Things will happen while you’re asleep but you’ll have the energy to catch up when you’ve awaken. Even when you are gone for good, things will still happen. No one is indispensable, it may take a while to get a replacement, but you will still be replaced.
Hence, LOVE YOUR JOB, BUT NEVER FALL IN-LOVE WITH YOUR COMPANY.