Stop for a minute and think about the teachers who made a difference for you. What can you remember about them? How has your life been different because of the time you spent with them?
Teachers serve an essential role in our society and are rarely recognized for the difference they make. TeachersCount is a non-profit organization that seeks to combat the lack of recognition for teachers by creating a permanent culture of teacher appreciation in this country. To address this goal, TeachersCount has created a number of ways for parents, students, or anyone whose life has been touched by a teacher to say “Thank You.”
- Send a free Hallmark teacher-appreciation e-card. Make it personal by including a message of your own.
- Share a teacher tale on StudentStories. Has a teacher made a difference in your life? You can post your inspiring teacher story on TeachersCount.org for all the world to see.
- Choose a creative, teacher-friendly idea from 10 Ways to Make Teacher Appreciation Week Count
- Become a TeachersPet. You can add a teacher to our eye-catching virtual honor roll by making a donation of any size to TeachersCount. We’ll even notify your teacher about the contribution you make in his or her honor.
- Tell us about an award-winning teacher you know. TeachersCount has a new feature, entitled CelebriTeachers, that highlights educators who have won distinction for their teaching.
In addition to offering these creative teacher appreciation ideas, TeachersCount has been working hard to honor teachers through the Behind Every Famous Person Is a Fabulous Teacher campaign in the Time Inc. family of magazines. In October 2006, First Lady Laura Bush, who appears alongside her teacher in one of the ads, spoke at the official launch of the campaign. Other famous faces in the campaign include actors Edie Falco, America Ferrera, Marg Helgenberger, Virginia Madsen, Jeremy Piven, Tony Shalhoub, and Bradley Whitford; CEO Kenneth Chenault; and athletes Curtis Martin, Will Shields and Michelle Snow; and others.
TeachersCount also publishes a feature in Instructor magazine that highlights students with significant accomplishments and the teachers who helped them succeed. Finally, TeachersCount helped honor the NFL Teacher of the Year at the 2007 AFC-NFC Pro Bowl in Hawaii.
Remember to thank your teachers this spring! This year, National Teacher Day is May 8 and Teacher Appreciation Week is May 7-11.
Need ideas to honor a teacher? Read 10 Ways to Appreciate a Teacher