President Obama, who became part of the conversation after saying Sgt. James Crowley, a white police officer, “acted stupidly” when he arrested Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. in his own home, personally telephoned the two men with the hope of resolving the discord by inviting them to the White House for a beer.
If this works, look for Obama to schedule Octoberfests to mediate a truce between:
- North Korean dictator Kim Chong-il and South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak
- Senior Leader of Hamas, Ismail Haneya, and Fatah head, Mahmoud Abbas (mint tea)
- Dick Cheney and George W. Bush re Scooter Libby (O’Doul’s non-alcoholic malt beverage for the former prez)
- Candy and Tori Spelling
- David Letterman and Sarah Palin
- Perez Hilton and Will.i.am