20 to 25 cucumbers, about four inches long
1/8 teaspoon powdered alum
1 clove of garlic
2 heads of fresh dill
1 small hot red pepper
1 quart of white vinegar
1 cup of pure salt
3 quarts of water
1. Wash and let stand in cold water overnight.
2. The next morning: fill wide-mouthed jars with as many cucumbers as fit in Leave a few inches at the top of the jar.
3. Into each quart jar put the powdered alum, garlic, dill, and the red pepper.
4. Combine the white vinegar, salt, and water. Heat until boiling.
5. Fill jars with hot liquid. Put a grape leaf on top. If more liquid is needed, use a bit more vinegar. Seal.
6. Takes six weeks to cure.
Have fun and enjoy—remember, get small cucumbers.