When I started thinking about a title for a post about nuts, Kramer’s voice came into my head: “These nuts are making me thirsty!” Only after I wrote in down just now in the header did I realize that it was pretzel, not nut. Oh well, we are gonna roll with it anyway because nuts are salty and crunchy just like pretzels, and that was a funny episode of Seinfeld. I think nuts deserve their own post because they are delicious. I will eat them in a car, I will eat them near and far, I will eat them here or there, I will eat them anywhere!
Here is a short list of reasons you should consider eating more nuts this year:
1. They are a great source of protein when you need a little pick-me-up during the day. They are easy to carry around with you, you can get all different kinds and if you have a Trader Joe’s nearby you can get them with lots of flavors and spices.
2. They make great holiday gifts. Here are some links to tasty nut recipes that you can enjoy all year long:
- Rosemary-Maple Cashews (salty-sweet-spicy)
- Cajun Trail Mix (I made these for gifts a couple years and everyone loved them)
- Mocha Pecans (these were made by my friend, Doris, and I need to get the recipe from her … so good)
And if you don’t want to make ’em yourself, try Sahale Snacks. They had them at Costco for awhile and you can get them at specialty and some health food stores. They are awesome. Or any of the yummy ones from Trader Joe’s (Thai Lime Cashews, Spiced Candied Pecans, Honey Roasted Peanuts, etc.)
3. They are a great way to add texture: to salads, rice, and quinoa dishes, as a crust on chicken and fish, in steel cut oatmeal for breakfast, creamed cashews for an awesome smoothie base, the list goes on and on.
4. Crazy health benefits: High in Omaga-3, lowers harmful LDL cholesterol, lots of phytonutrients and antioxidants, can lower risk of heart disease, GOOD FAT (mono and polyunsaturated).