Every Christmas, Grandpa made his special eggnog with bourbon whiskey, as he so loved to bellow, “It’s gotta big boy kick to it.” Me and my cousins would sneak around and take hits off of it as Grandma would yell, “Jim! Keep em’ boys outta that egg nog … you’re get’em drunk, again!
Twenty-four raw egg yolks
Twenty-four raw egg whites
1 gallon whole milk
2 quarts half-and-half cream
1 quart heavy whipping cream
1 quart bourbon whiskey
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
Two large mixing bowls
One large cooking spoon
One hand-held electric mixer
One large punch bowl (with cups and ladle)
1. First thing off the start, take two dozen eggs and separate the yolks from the whites, placing each in their own mixing bowl, then add one cup of powdered sugar each to the egg yolks and egg whites. Place egg whites in the fridge for the time being.
2. Now take the egg yolk/powdered sugar combo and whip together with electric mixer till smooth and silky. Add a gallon of milk and two quarts of half-and-half cream to egg yolk mixture, blending thoroughly.
3. Stir in one quart bourbon whiskey with cooking spoon, then pour egg cream contents into large punch bowl and chill for two to three hours in the fridge.
4. Rinse out mixing bowl, then add one quart heavy whipping cream and one cup powdered sugar. Whip heavy cream/powdered sugar mixture till super thick and fluffy (don’t over whip it … you’ll turn it into butter). Place in fridge for now.
5. Ok! Fifteen minutes before you’re ready to serve guests, take out your egg white/powered sugar combo and whip it on high till you’ve created solid and firm snow peaks ( I mean really super thick).
6. Take out your punch bowl of egg cream mixture and mixing bowl of whipped cream. Fold in whipped cream into your egg cream mixture, ever so gently (don’t stir it, you’ll break it down). Now do the same with the whipped egg whites, folding in gently.
7. Sprinkle one tablespoon of nutmeg over your creation. You now have “Grandpa’s Egg Nog.”
8. Hit it easy! It’s super rich and will sneak up on you before you know what’s happening. Enjoy!