The Buena Vista, near Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco, has served up to 2,000 Irish coffees each day since 1952. Here’s how the masters make it:
- Hot coffee brewed strong
- Sugar cubes
- Irish whiskey
- Fresh whipping cream
1. Pour hot water into a glass mug to warm it, then empty the mug.
2. Pour hot coffee into the mug until it is three-fourths full.
3. Put two cocktail sugar cubes into the hot coffee and stir them until they dissolve.
4. Pour one full jigger of Irish whiskey into the coffee.
5. Pour the freshly whipped cream over the back of a spoon into the mug, so the cream floats on top of the coffee. Top it all off with another dollop of the whipped cream.
Photo courtesy of Lakeland