Cold, wintery weather? Try this number to get you warmed up and super nourished!
1 cup red lentils, cooked
One onion finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
1/2 cup tomato purée
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2-1/2 teaspoon curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste
One butternut cut into cubes
Two large carrots, diced
1 cup frozen peas
4-3/4 cups of water
- In a little water, “dry fry” onions, ginger, garlic, cumin and curry powder for a couple of minutes. Add a little water if necessary—the consistency should be like that of a paste.
- Add butternut and carrots and coat.
- Add tomato purée and continue to stir for a minute.
- Add water, bring to the boil, and then allow to simmer for fifteen minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook the lentils by covering slightly with boiling water and then allowing it to simmer fifteen to twenty minutes, until no liquid is left.
- Add peas to the butternut mixture and simmer for another ten minutes.
- Finally, stir in lentils and cook for five more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with side dishes of chopped fresh coriander, date syrup and desiccated coconut.