Stumped by how to find your personal decorating style?
Here are five tips to get you started and a fun quiz to help in the process!
1) Spend time living the life you want and gathering mementos along the way. Your home will come together as you experience life. It shouldn’t be an overnight process!
2) Create rooms and spaces to inspire and accommodate your life. Evaluate what kind of life you really want to live and set things up to make that life possible and enjoyable. Do you love to read? Do you have friends over for movies? Do you like to cook? Enjoy writing? Do you have the neighborhood kids over to play with your children? Do you have hobbies? Do you host large parties? Make sure your house is set up to accommodate you—homes should never keep us from fully experiencing what we love to do. Nor should they be staged for someone else’s idea of a good life. Your home should make sense for you.
3) Eliminate things that are unattractive or don’t stir your senses in some way. Avoid random decorations. Most everything should have a story that makes you happy or reminds you of a special time or person. Or at least things should be attractive and facilitate your life in some way. If it is useless or ugly, get rid of it.
4) Make ordinary things beautiful. Most of our life is spent doing ordinary things. Those ordinary activities should inspire our homes even more than the few highlights of our life. Everyday we spend time eating, cleaning, bathing, sleeping, and working. Take the time to make these every day experiences more organized and pleasing to your eye.
5) Don’t be afraid to ask for help in creating a beautiful home, but be careful who you ask. Friends mean well but can confuse their personal taste with what is appropriate for you. Friends don’t have to love your home. Designers can be a wealth of information and ideas but can also lead you to spend money that you don’t need to spend, and end up creating a home that reflects their style rather than yours. Find someone who understands what you are trying to achieve, can use what you already have, and loves to create something authentic to you.
Not everyone is naturally inclined to be able to arrange things in attractive ways — we all have our strengths. Don’t feel badly if you need some help in organizing or pulling your belongings together so that you can truly love your home.
Here is a fun photo quiz that might help you define your personal style! Enjoy the results!
Melissa Michaels is a decorating consultant and the editor of Blissfully Domestic’s Blissful Home channel.