With Earth Day this Friday, people everywhere are making pledges to support the planet and show appreciation for the environment. Whether it’s planting trees, recycling, or just walking instead of driving, plan to do something eco-friendly on April 22; you’ll join the countless celebrities who continue to raise awareness about persevering our planet. Here are some celebrity couples who are not only committed to each other, but to Mother Nature as well:
1. Bar Rafaeli and Leonardo DiCaprio: DiCaprio is one of the most outspoken celebrities to discuss environmental issues, and girlfriend Rafaeli is no different. In 2008, the Titanic star purchased a condominium in Riverhouse, an eco-friendly building in New York City. He also drives a hybrid, flies commercially to reduce his carbon footprint, inspires other celebrities to go green, founded the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation to support many eco-friendly causes, and created a documentary about the global environmental crisis called The 11th Hour. Meanwhile, Rafaeli is an activist in promoting alternative energy sources.
2. Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom: The Victoria’s Secret model has an organic skincare line called Kora, was named Earth Hour’s global ambassador for 2011, and modeled nude for Rolling Stone’s green issue to raise environmental awareness. Bloom, Kerr’s husband, built an eco-friendly house in London and was named a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in 2009.
3. Jessica Alba and Cash Warren: In 2008, this couple bought an eco-friendly house in Los Angeles to raise their daughter, Honor Marie, in. The couple also lives green. In an interview with InStyle, Alba said, “I would like to see a cleaner earth for my child.”
4. Rachel Bilson and Hayden Christensen: They might keep their relationship private, but when it comes to causes like Aeropostale’s Teens for Jeans, Bilson and Christensen enjoy discussing its recycling campaign. In addition to encouraging people to donate their jeans, Bilson uses reusable shopping bags, drives a hybrid Toyota Prius, and wears clothes made from organic cotton. Christensen owns an organic farm in Canada.
5. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt: These two have been praised for all the charity work they participate in and the organization they founded in 2006, the Jolie-Pitt Foundation, which assists with worldwide humanitarian crises. The couple is also dedicated to creating eco-friendly communities. Shortly after Pitt received permission to run his project, Make It Right NOLA, which focuses on building affordable green houses in New Orleans, he volunteered to be a designer of an environmental luxury hotel in Dubai.
These are just a few of the dozen celebrities who are committed to creating a healthier planet. Follow in their footsteps and make a difference this Earth Day.
By Tanni Deb for Cupid’s Pulse