Over the winter holidays, single people can sometimes feel down about their relationship status (or lack thereof). But this is nonsense! I personally believe there are tons of benefits to being your very own during the holidays—tis the season to be single! Let’s discuss.
- MORE HOLIDAY PARTIES/SOIREES BRING YOU MORE MEN IN A ROOM, WHICH MEANS MORE OPPORTUNITIES TO MEET EXCITING NEW PEOPLE OUTSIDE YOUR NORMAL CIRCLE—(Known to help break bad dating patterns!) Holidays are a great time to go shopping for the gift which keeps on giving … the gift of l-o-v-e. Say yes to every invitation; why not? Meet people outside your present crowd and expand your horizons. Who’s stopping you? No one! Because you’re single. And it’s awesome.
- YOU ONLY HAVE TO DEVOTE TIME TO ONE SET OF FAMILY AND ONE SET OF FRIENDS, SO YOU CAN SPEND MORE TIME WITH THESE SPECIAL PEOPLE—MAKING SURE THEY FEEL LOVED AND PRIORITIZED. Studies show that a huge contributor to happiness is strong connections with others—like family and friends. Often when we’re in a relationship, we wind up feeling cozy simply spending time with our partner, and soon we’re connecting less with family & friends. Being single during the holidays gives you time to catch up on these important relationships—strengthen your emotional bonds, thereby increasing your happiness! Oh, another thing—appreciate having one less awkward family dinner with a boyfriend’s relatives! You know what I’m talking about.
- HOLIDAY TIME = PAMPER THYSELF TIME! Holiday time offers us a chance to take a real vacation or a mini-size self-pampering vacation. Either way, some R&R time will help you feel fabulous, relaxed, confident, and ready to mingle. As many of us know, it’s a lot easier to take personal self-worth/self-love/self-care time when you’re single. You can spend as much time as you want in that bubble bath. You can put on that mud mask—or (TMI WARNING) bleach your mustache! Sing loudly and passionately to your favorite music—free of judgment. There’s no one to cramp your spontaneous style or private hedonism. Whether or not you go out of town, have fun being you. Singledom gives you the right and luxury of putting your needs, your wants, and your bikini wax first.
- EVEN IF YOU CAN’T LEAVE TOWN, YOU CAN BRING OUT OF TOWNERS TO YOU! The holidays are a time of year when friends visit friends. Out-of-towners are everywhere. Note: This means cute, single out-of-towners who want to go out and have a good time are everywhere. Whether it’s your bestie’s cousin, in for the week from San Francisco, or just a friend’s friend visiting on a college break or time off from work – there are a lot more interesting, single people floating about this time of year. Introduce yourself.
- SURE, YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE ROMANTIC PASSION… BUT YOU NOW HAVE TIME FOR YOUR PERSONAL PASSIONS! I’m a big believer that men love happy, interesting women who have lots of passions in life! This means you should feel those out and enjoy your particular interests regardless of whether you have a special dude. Being single is a brilliant opportunity to do what you love most. On your holiday wish list, you might ask for some really great books—then actually have time to read them! Or ask for the gift of those belly dancing classes you’ve passionately wanted to take, then have time to attend them! Or ask for a cookbook, and learn how to bake an apple pie from scratch—flaky pastry crust included. If you want love in your life, do the things you love—and love your life. Men are helpless around women who love themselves and love their life.
- YOU CAN USE THE COMBO OF YOUR SINGLE-FREEDOM AND HOLIDAY FREE-TIME TO SELF-REFLECT. Santa shouldn’t be the only one judging if you’ve been naughty or nice. The holiday season is a perfect time for you to do some reflection—take a moment in that bubble bath. How were you a naughty and/or nice partner in your last relationship? How might you be nicer in your next one? There’s a famous expression: If you keep doing what you’re always doing you’ll keep getting what you’re always getting.
- LIKE BRADLEY COOPER, THE OPTIONS FOR SINGLE GIRLS ARE LIMITLESS. You get to kiss anyone you damn well please under the mistletoe. Enjoy that before you’re coupled off, single lady!