The other day I got a piece of mail that had three addresses on it for me, two of which were printed on the yellow post office new address stickers. I was dually impressed with the post office for keeping up with the mail, and with myself for managing three addresses in one year.
It led me to reflect on the year during an unconventional time from June 2009 to June 2010.
I’m prone to being hard on myself so confronting this menial piece of snail mail reminded me of the transition that occurred in my life in just the amount of time that the US Mail will still forward your mail.
Sometimes I give myself a hard time that I haven’t accomplished much of what I’ve wanted to over the last year. But I say in retrospect, it was quite a year.
In all that time, I have:
- Moved out of the first apartment I ever picked out and lived in on my own, the apartment I got when I left my marriage and moved into with my three-year old son: June 2009
- Filed for unemployment for the second time in my life: June 2009
- Moved in with my boyfriend onto the same block I lived on when I was first married (and conceived my first child): June 2009
- Witnessed the death of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson on the same day while lunching in New Jersey: June 2009
- Went to Ikea no fewer than fve times (three of them on the FREE Water Taxi with an overwhelmingly gorgeous view of Downtown Manhattan): June 2009 to December 2010
- Three morons and a fake manager attempted and botched a DirecTV installation: June 2009
- Met the Umbililcal Brothers and briefly “entertained” them at our new apartment: June 2009
- Continued to fight with DirecTV for the rest of the year: July 2009 to December 2009
- Started running my boyfriend’s business: July 2009
- Went to a Dead Weather Concert at Terminal Five with Jack White. Well I didn’t go with Jack White, I went with my boyfriend. The performance was with Jack White: July 2009
- Started therapy again where my therapist urged me to “give myself a break” because I was “going through a transition.”: July 2009
- Went on a ten-state road trip in ten days (counting NY as the first state on the 1st and last day): New York, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, (Yellowstone) Wyoming, South Dakota (Badlands), Iowa, Nebraska: August 2009
- Went to Washington DC and Williamsburg with my 2 boys: August 2009
- Began being boyfriend’s baby mommy-to-be. Realized this is a good block for conception: September 2009
- Bed bug extravaganza began: September 16, 2009
- Beg bug extravaganza continued: September 23, 2009
- Ended therapy again. The therapist persisted on the transition argument, and then brought up problems I didn’t even know I had: September 2009
- Bed bug extravaganza made a comeback: November 18, 2009
- Signed the lease to our new apartment on Wall Street. Clown on Wall Street, the image is as funny as the jokes: November 18, 2009
- Had a debacle to uninstall DirecTV and get my money back even after it could not get installed in my new apartment: December 2009
- Drove my son to Riverdale using Zipcar up until after I was nine months pregnant: December 2009 to June 2010
- Crimson Dynamo premiers at comic book stores: December 3, 2009
- St. Martin babymoon: we seized every second: January 2010
- Being pregnant: January to June 2010
- Becoming a mommy of two: June 8, 2010