The name of this fall’s fashion game is ladylike glamour and beauty trends are following suit (tweed, of course). The ultimate accessory? Red lipstick. Whether you pair it with kitten heels or animal prints, now’s the time to experiment with this bold hue. While red lipstick never goes out of style, the statement-making shade does evolve. The current rendition is decidedly retro, with warm undertones and often a matte finish. Think classic 1940s. Here are five of my favorites:
1. Lancôme Le French Touch Absolu Lipstick in Rouge St. Honoré ($35) – Creamy, classic and clearly luxurious thanks to the ornate art, gold packaging and signature velvety soft Lancôme formula. It’s what Coco would’ve carried.
2. Sonia Kashuk Velvety Matte Lip Crayon in Rosey Nude ($8) – A neutral red, destined to flatter most skin tones and far more forgiving than a full-on lipstick. The most matte of the bunch, it’s also the subtlest.
3. CoverGirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm Stick in Anemone ($6) – This shiny, poppy hue is the perfect starter red. Although it’s sheer and doesn’t stay put for long, it’s far more pigmented than you’d expected from a tinted balm.
4. MAC Ruby Woo ($14.50) – Ask any red lipstick aficionado what’s in her makeup bag, and this opaque blue-red shade will undoubtedly be on the list. Further proof: Pin-up princess Dita Von Teese endorses it!
5. Estée Lauder Pure Color Lipstick in Red Velvet ($24) – Even more intense than Lancôme’s, this lipstick is exactly what I think of when I hear the words “red lipstick.” It’s a major commitment, and it’s perfect.
Read more of Elizabeth’s musings at Beauty Bets.