Through countless interactions with clients and many “insider” stories of date outcomes over the years, Linx Dating has compiled a list of fifty helpful tips to make your dating experience effortless. These tips are useful in allowing you to realize whether your actions help or hinder you in the dating game. These first twenty-five tips will ensure your date is a night to remember.
1. If you ask a woman out for a date, take the lead, be a gentleman, and plan. Don’t show up without a plan.
2. Don’t show up for a date wearing torn jeans, cut off jeans, or a combination of the above with Tevas or Birkenstocks. Instead, put some thought into what you wear. First impressions are lasting impressions.
3. If you are self-conscious about your body, then work out. Working out produces endorphins, which make you happy.
4. If you had a bad day at work and you are simply in a negative mind space, you are probably better off not bringing your date down, so let him or her know you need to reschedule. Your date will appreciate your honesty.
5. If you are balding, get a buzz cut—it’s sexy.
6. Don’t EVER arrive to pick your date up and have a drink in the car. We aren’t talking water, we are talking about an alcoholic beverage. Can you say DUI?
7. On the car theme, when you pick a lady up, make sure you have taken a few minutes to clean the inside of your car (i.e., throwing your excess papers in the trunk).
8. When you see your date, please compliment her.
9. When driving to dinner, don’t yell at other cars, blast the music, or mock homeless people. Your date will think that you are aggressive, hostile, and have a major anger-management issue.
10. Gentlemen walk on the outside on the street, ladies away from the curb. Women like to feel protected.
11. Gentlemen, please always open doors. This basic courtesy goes a very long way.
12. Pre-date, turn that cell phone on silent or vibrate for the remainder of the evening. It is rude not to. If you really have to make a call or check a message (assuming it is work related) then excuse yourself and go to the restroom to do so in a nonchalant manner.
13. Don’t drink too much at dinner—set a maximum, such as one or two drinks for the
night. Otherwise, your date might think you are a lush if you start slurring your words.
14. Guys like women who make an effort to look good and are well-kept. Put some thought into how you look. Feminine goes a long way. Guys tell me they love a great pair of fitting jeans and a cute top. Work your best asset to your advantage. Great legs, then show them off. Great chest, then show a little cleavage and wear pants to compensate.
15. Don’t ever ridicule your date, belittle or make fun of them in anyway. Don’t ever make fun of your date’s dreams and personal goals if they disclose them to you.
16. When in doubt, pay compliments and be upbeat.
17. Don’t talk about how much money you make, it’s a turn-off! On a similar note, ladies don’t tell your date about the new diamond earrings you just bought with your bonus, or the Carerra you just bought as you are “so” successful. DOWNPLAY, DOWNPLAY, DOWNPLAY. Guys, same goes for you. New BMW, sweet, but don’t share (yet).
18. Always be courteous to wait staff. In a Business 2.0 July ‘05 article on “The CEO’s Secret Handbook” it states, “A person who is nice to you but rude to the waiter—or to others—is not a nice person, this rule never fails.”
19. Don’t interview your date or quiz them. A spotlight on them will make them feel really uncomfortable. I speak from experience.
21. If you see an ex-beau or ex-girlfriend at the restaurant, act normal and say hello. Introduce your date to them, by saying, “So and so, I’d like you to meet my friend, blank.” After, you don’t have to explain necessarily who it was, just let it be.
22. Don’t ever talk about past relationships on the first date. I think this follows the same principle of not revealing too much on the first date. Once you get to know one another, then you can begin to reveal more.
23. Have a laundry list of dating conversation topics already stored in your memory bank. Great topics are crazy travel stories, favorite restaurants, family, and the college years.
24. Don’t ever reach over and take a bite from your date’s plate. Are we in a zoo?
25. If you ask someone on a date, follow through and go out. Guys, call the day prior to confirm. This does not mean sending her a text, it means calling on the phone.
Need more advice? Read the Insider Dating Tips.