It’s cold outside, or you may be fighting colds inside. In any case, you need to make this recipe for one of the most basic dishes in life, and consume large quantities of it. Whether you’re a mother cooking for your kids, or a single girl cooking for her own inner child—enjoy!
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup beer (optional)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In large soup pot, heat up olive oil.
- Add salt and ginger.
- Add garlic and onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add broth, water (and beer).
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- Take chicken out and shred.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove all large bits and puree in blender.
- Pour back in pot and add shredded chicken.
- You can add pasta (ditalini) or white cannelloni beans if desired.
Photo courtesy of Sanja Gjenero