Your eyes are one of the first places on your face to age. I’ve got nothing against getting older, but anything I can do to prevent looking older, I’ll try (as long as it doesn’t involve needles!). Here are a few easy secrets to help in taking out a few years off your face:
1. Fake a good night’s sleep.
Believe it or not, moisturizer is the answer to lightening dark circles.
2. Block the sun.
Use whatever protection you can get from the harmful rays of the sun. Also beware of the times between 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. because it’s when the sun is at its strongest, which means more UV rays landing on your skin.
3. Refrain from frowning.
Lines in the face can lead to more lines, so try not to frown.
4. Reset the body clock.
The best approach is to start every day by taking a walk with a friend. “The trick is to combine socializing with sunlight and exercise.”
5. Eat superfoods.
Eat the foods that will make you look younger and lose weight! Here’s a list:
- Coconut—the fats in coconut are not usually stored as fat.
- Salmon—eat protein and fats with carbohydrates for a balanced insulin to glucagon ration.
- Whole grain breads—sugars released more slowly than processed grains, so less insulin response.
- Asparagus—a nonstarchy vegetable even helpful with cheese sauce.
- Cabbage—use it many different ways especially helpful in soup as a filler.
- Chicken—balance a meal with chicken on a salad.
- Garlic—use it however you can.
- Green beans—fills you up but nonstarchy so no effect on insulin to glucagon ratio.
- Cod liver oil—an important supplement for Vitamins A and D.
- Bitters—often helpful for digesting fats.
- Bell peppers—another sweet tasting nonstarchy vegetable useful in several ways.
- Squash—especially good with light cheese sauces.
- Cheese—in limited amounts, preferably fresh, as the fats in aged cheese are damaged.
- Eggs—contains proteins plus fats to satisfy hunger and combine well with carbohydrates.
6. Fill your mind with happy thoughts.
I know this is the trick that Peter Pan shared with the kids of the same movie title to make them fly. Based on actual research filling the head with happy thoughts is like an exercise for the heart to relieve stress and keep you awake. Doing this will light up your face and keep you smiling all day, which can improve the looks (which we all like).
7. Smile—you’ll Live Longer.
According to a study published in the November 2004 issue of the Archives of General Psychiatry, elderly optimistic people—those who expected good things to happen (rather than bad things)—were less likely to die than pessimists. So smile and show those sparkly whites!