This recipe is courtesy of my mom’s kitchen. Good for a Cinco de Mayo fiesta!
- 1-1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons minced and seeded serrano or jalapeno chilies (about two medium)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Two garlic cloves, minced
1. Put all ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Cover and refrigerate for at least thirty minutes prior to serving. This allows time for the flavors to blend.
4. Serve in a bowl for guests to enjoy with chips, on a taco, or whatever their pleasure.
Makes three cups.
Also see Mark Roddey’s pico de gallo recipe.
Photo courtesy of Alex Mestas