There has never been a better time to enjoy the wonderful benefits of smoothies and juices. Our local stores and supermarkets are bursting with tantalizing fresh fruits and vegetables, and many of them are in plentiful supply all year round.
We can also enjoy seasonal fruits at any time of year simply by freezing them. Peel them first if necessary, cut into slices or cubes, then arrange them in a single layer on a tray and freeze them. They can then be transferred to freezer bags, ready for use.
The recipes to follow are quick to prepare, easy to digest and full of vitamins, minerals and other life-enhancing substances. Bananas, for example, are a rich source of potassium and magnesium, and can help lower cholesterol levels. Mangoes are full of vitamin A, which is a powerful cancer-fighting agent. Pineapples contain bromelain, an enzyme that helps ease inflammation and soothes the digestion; and tomatoes contain vitamin E, a valuable antioxidant that helps combat the aging process.
Enjoy a refreshing morning pick-me-up, nutritious lunchtime drink, delicious dinner combination and stunning concoction for entertaining that will have your guests coming back for more. So, whatever the time of day, or whatever the occasion, you will have the perfect drink every time.
What better way to wake up than to treat your taste buds to an explosion of mouthwatering flavours? Get ready to uplift your senses and find yourself feeling refreshed and ready for whatever the day will bring. Here’s to a perfect start to your day!
Red bell pepper booster (Serves 2)
1 cup carrot juice
1 cup tomato juice
2 large red bell peppers (seeded and coarsely chopped)
1 tbsp lemon juice
To serve – freshly ground black pepper
- Pour the carrot juice and tomato juice into a food processor and process gently until combined. Add the red bell peppers and lemon juice. Season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper and process until smooth. Pour the mixture into 2-tall glasses, add straws and serve.
Nectarine melt (Serves 2)
1 cup milk
12 oz/350 g lemon sherbet
1 ripe mango, pitted and diced
2 ripe nectarines, pitted and diced
- Pour the milk into a food process, add half of the lemon sherbet and process until combined. Add the remaining sherbet and process until smooth. When the mixture is thoroughly blended, gradually add the mango and nectarines and process until smooth. Pour the mixture into glasses, add straws and serve.
Make your lunch special with these delightful drinks. They are packed with life-giving nutrients and use the freshest, most delicious ingredients. Here’s to adding some sparkle to your midday break!
Berry cream (Serves 2)
1½ cups orange juice
1 banana, sliced and frozen
1 lb/450 g frozen forest fruits (such as blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)
To decorate, slices of fresh strawberry
- Pour the orange juice into a food processor. Add the banana and half of the forest fruits and process until smooth. Add the remaining forests fruits and process until smooth. Pour the mixture into tall glasses and decorate the rims with slices of fresh strawberry. Add straws and serve.
Strawberry & peach smoothie (Serves 2)
¼ cup milk
8 oz/225 g canned peach slices, drained
2 fresh apricots, chopped
¼ oz/400 g fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 bananas, sliced and frozen
To decorate, slices of fresh strawberries
- Pour the milk into a food processor. Add the peach slices and process gently until combined. Add the apricots and process gently until combined. Add the strawberries and banana slices and process until smooth. Pour the mixture into glasses and decorate the rims with slices of fresh strawberries. Serve straightaway.
You are in for a real treat with the following dinner drinks, which are guaranteed to delight your family and friends. The chocolate lovers among you will be enchanted and for coffee lovers, the after-dinner coffee drink will add a twist to the evening.
Rich chocolate shake (forgive me) Serves 2
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp chocolate syrup
14 oz/400 g chocolate ice cream
To decorate, grated chocolate
- Pour the milk and chocolate syrup into a food process and process gently until combined. Add the chocolate ice cream and process until smooth. Pour the mixture into tall glasses and decorate by floating the grated chocolate. Serve straightaway.
Coffee whip (serves 2)
Generous ¼ cup milk
Scant ¼ cup light cream
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 tbsp coffee syrup (or instant coffee powder)
6 ice cubes
To serve, whipped cream and grated chocolate
- Put the milk, cream and sugar into a food process, and process gently until combined. Add the unsweetened cocoa and coffee syrup or powder and process well, and then add the ice cubes and process until smooth. Pour the mixture into glasses. Top with whipped cream, sprinkle over the grated chocolate, and serve.
How could I end this article without a tempting cocktail or two? The Cherry Kiss will bring a touch of romance to any occasion. The Rose Sunset will prove irresistible as the sun goes down. Here’s to temptation!
Cherry kiss (pucker up) Serves 2
8 ice cubes, crushed
2 tbsp cherry syrup
Generous 2 cups sparkling water
To decorate, maraschino cherries on toothpicks
- Divide the crushed ice between two tall glasses and pour over the cherry syrup. Top up each glass with sparkling water. Decorate with the maraschino cherries on toothpics and serve.
Rose sunset (serves 2)
Scant ½ cup plain yogurt
Generous 2 cups milk
1 tbsp rose water
3 tbsp honey
1 ripe mango, pitted and diced
6 ice cubes
To decorate, edible rose petals (optional)
- Pour the yogurt and milk into a food processor and process gently until combined. Add the rose water and honey and process until thoroughly blended, then add the mango along with the ice cubes and process until smooth. Pour the mixture into glasses, decorate with edible rose petals, if using, and serve.
Whatever the time of day or whatever the occasion, when you wish to treat yourself (or someone else) to something really special, smoothies and juices are the perfect accompaniment to our busy lives. Both are healthy and delicious. Enjoy!