Apple turnovers are a treat that we never get enough of. They are perfect for breakfast or dessert. Here’s a recipe for a tasty treat that is not too sweet!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pack of cream cheese (8 ounces), cut into 1 inch cubes
3/4 cup firm butter (12 tbsp), cut into 1 inch cubes
1–2 tbsp ice water
1 21 ounce can apple pie filling or topping
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon milk
Makes about 16 turnovers.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet. Prepare cream cheese and butter.
- Stir flour and salt together in a medium bowl. Cut in cream cheese and butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Form pastry into a ball adding water if necessary to hold together.
- Roll out pastry ball and shape into a flattened pizza like circle on a floured surface. Cut into 8 even slices (mine aren’t even!). Cut each of the 8 slices in half and roll each piece into a ball and flatten to make 16 mini circles.
- Fill each mini pastry with about 2 1/2 tbsp of pie filling. Moisten edges of each circle and fold over to form a taco shape. Place turnovers on baking sheet.
- Press edges with the tip of a fork dipped in flour. Pierce the top of each pastry once for ventilation. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.
Combine confectioners’ sugar and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle or brush on top of turnovers.
- Use your hands or a mixer to fold butter & cream cheese into flour. I use my hands, it’s fun!
- Cut or process apple pie filling if apples are too big.
- Substitute apple pie filling with any filling of your choice. The possibilities are endless!
Photo courtesy of the Mommy Daddy Blog