Overwhelmed by the variety of options in decorating your home? Do you want to develop your own style but you aren’t sure where to begin?
Here are five tips to creating an authentic decorating style:
1. Consider things in your life (past and present and dreams for the future) that are meaningful to you or your family. Family history, places you’ve been, life experiences, and your dream life are all good places to start looking for the real you. Once you have determined what has inspired you in life, you can start to identify your unique style.
2. Consider the architecture of your home. You don’t have to match its style, but it is helpful to be aware of its influence as you select furnishings and decor. Your home’s style will add to the uniqueness of your personal look!
3. Learn the art of subtlety. Consider ways to incorporate the significant things into your decor without making everything a “Ta Da!” moment. It is more intriguing to let design elements unfold rather than have everything hit you right off the bat as you walk in. This tip will make the difference between having a tacky themed room and a room inspired by YOU!
4. Incorporate conversation pieces that fill your home with memories. A collection of postcards from your vacations, a stack of books you have read, or a piece of furniture you inherited from your grandma can all generate meaningful conversations around happy memories. What stories does your home tell? These stories will create a unique expression of your life through your decor.
5. You can appreciate a lot of styles and colors, but you don’t have to use all of them in your home. Be selective. Often times, less is more when it comes to successful decorating. If you can identify your authentic style and eliminate the excess, your home will be beautiful!
Adapted from The Inspired Room