Even in the busiest seasons of our life, it is important to find time for peace and quiet. Solitude is important to our sense of well being, yet it can be difficult to find time for it if we don’t make the time.
Here are some tips for creating a sense of solitude amidst the busyness of life:
- Make the time for solitude and let some things fall through the cracks.
- Try doing one less activity per week.
- Save up your emails and deal with them all in one sitting to avoid the constant interruptions.
- Get up one half hour earlier to enjoy the quiet of the morning.
- Turn off your phone and computer earlier in the evening. The world can wait until tomorrow.
- If you have children at home, shut the door to your bedroom or bathroom for a short time each day or evening (if your husband is home or your kids are old enough to be alone!) and tell the children mommy is in quiet time.
- Set appointments with yourself to do something different each week with some quiet time. Wander through an art museum, read a book at a new coffee shop, walk through a botanical garden, listen to music, and daydream.
- Create a special place for solitude. A clean and inviting bedroom can be a private sanctuary. Put on fresh sheets, pull open a window and a set a bouquet by your bedside.
- Create rituals for your private time and look forward to those experiences. Light candles, journal your thoughts in pretty notebooks, meditate on gratitude, pray.
- Learn to say no without excuses.
- Be selective in how you spend your day, making sure to guard your private time.
- Give yourself permission to live life at a different pace than others around you.
- Make ordinary moments more special. A morning cup of coffee can be a memorable daily ritual if we slow down enough to savor it in solitude.
- Be yourself and live authentically. Trying to impress is a sure fire way to be unbalanced in life.
- Let go of the guilt for things you can’t get to and things you cannot control.
Originally published on The Inspired Room