What does it mean to be lazy? What sets a lazy person apart from an active one? Is lazy something we are born with or learned? I believe that being lazy is something we do when we are living on the surface, not from our core. I believe when we live from our core we have passions, desires, excitement, and we love to move. We love to make our bodies happy and healthy. We love exploring and learning. This drive and activity comes from deep down inside. When we don’t tap into this portion of ourselves, I believe we stop caring, and we get lazy.
When I was in the dieting crowd, I was lazy. I mentioned in my earlier blog just how lazy I was. Everything felt like a hassle. Everything was hard and inconvenient. I didn’t care about the little important details, I didn’t care much about anything, most importantly, I didn’t really care about myself. This lead me down a journey of laziness that only continued to move downward.
Here are ten ways to jump out of being lazy and become that energetic, driven, positive person:
1. Do your dishes: Don’t wait until your dishes have a layer of disgusting, sticky filth stuck to them, wash them immediately. How much more will you enjoy your meal when your dishes are already done.
2. Do your laundry: Doing your laundry often saves you from devoting an entire day to seven loads when your room has been taken over by dirty clothes. Do your laundry well before it piles up.
3. Brush your teeth: Well I hope this isn’t the first time you have heard this one. Brushing your teeth (even when you are sooo tired and you just want to go straight to bed) is surprisingly invigorating. Just as I feel like I am going to fall over from exhaustion, I get up, brush my teeth, and what do you know, my eyes perk right up!
4. Clean often: There is no reason you can’t wipe down counters and appliances everyday! Imagine how much easier it will be to deep clean when you have been cleaning all week!
5. Get moving: If you are someone that works best on a schedule, schedule your workouts for the week. Pick different activities for different days and write them in your calendar. If you like spontaneity, wake up and ask yourself what you feel like doing, then do it! The more you move, the more you will want to continue moving.
6. No more rolly chairs: This really only applies if you work in an office. When we have the comfort of sitting all day we tend to become attached to the chair. Get off the chair every time you need to get a copy. Do not roll around like you have no mobility. I did this when I worked in an office and next thing I knew I was complaining when I had to stand up and walk down the hall to the bathroom. Don’t make this a habit.
7. Start cooking: Everyone can read a recipe book so don’t tell me you can’t cook. If you hate cooking, too bad. That may sound harsh but you must, must, must find a venue of cooking that you enjoy. Get excited about the beautiful cookbooks they have out there. Discover new herbs and spices, get creative!
8. Get social: The more you get outside and mingle, the less you will find yourself melting into your couch. When you are surrounded by friends and family you will be happier, healthier, and more motivated. Don’t wait for them to make plans with you, call them, who knows maybe they were just waiting for you to make the first move!
9. Hobbies: I feel like a broken record with this one but finding your passions and hobbies is so important. You need to find things that you are good at and that make you smile. These are the things that get you away from the TV and into your core self. They will fill you up in a way that food, TV, and trashy magazines can’t touch.
10. Independence: We have learned to depend on many things to make our lives easier. I don’t think we need it to be quite this easy (we have an obesity epidemic!). If the microwave and dishwasher are your two best friends it is time to start searching for alternatives. You can cook! You can wash dishes! You can do just about anything … if you want to. Discover your independence.
These ten tips are not easy. It is not easy to live in your core, it is hard work. Once you live with fullness and energy, you will live the most fulfilling, fabulous life you can imagine. If you are someone who considers themselves to be lazy, it’s OK, you have the power to turn that around, so find your independence and kick lazy to the curb.