Before, I showed you the Eggplant with Goat Cheese recipe  I made for a potluck last weekend. However, this was a fairly large potluck so I elected to bring two dishes. If you remember, I specifically had to make tapas for vegetarians. Thankfully, my globe-trotting friend had not one but two Spanish tapas recipe recommendations for me. Of the two recipes that I made, this tapas dish was by far the easier recipe to make. Plus, it featured a lot more strong flavors that did the Eggplant with Goat Cheese recipe, which is definitely more up my alley!
Cooking Time: About 7 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or more if needed
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced or quartered (I used cremini mushrooms for this one)
- 1/2 white onion, very finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic , roughly minced (you can adjust the amount of garlic in this recipe to your taste, but it’s called Garlic Mushrooms for a reason!)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- (you could add more if you wanted, but I wouldn’t recommend it as it imparts a very strong flavor to this dish)
- 1 large pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 heaping tablespoon smoked paprika, or adjust amount to your taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and onion. After about a minute, add the garlic and red wine vinegar.
- Once the mushrooms have started to get slightly crisp on the outside, add the chili flakes, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is slightly crisp and the mushrooms are tender.
Curiously enough, I thought this Spanish tapas recipe had more flavor than did my eggplant recipe. However, I could tell that this recipe didn’t go over nearly as well. I left the potluck with plenty of leftover mushrooms, but none of the eggplant remained. My current working theory was that the flavors in this vegetarian  tapas recipe were too strong for people. I tend to gravitate towards strong flavors, but evidently my palate clashes with the masses. Truthfully if I had made this just for myself I might have added even more garlic and chili flakes. While my ego took a blow with this vegetarian tapas rejection, my stomach was quite thankful! There were enough leftovers for me to have this for a delicious healthy lunch the next day.