Change is certain. Peace is followed by disturbances; departure of evil men by their return. Such recurrences should not constitute occasions for sadness but realities for awareness, so that one may be happy in the interim. ~ Percy Bysshe Shelley
There are times when everything is right but still we feel something is wrong. For no reason, weather seems dismal; people become irritating or rather we become irritating. And it happens to everyone. No one can remain sane at all times.
We all feel lonely at one moment or the other. The causes and the consequences may be different, but what we go through when we feel dull is mostly the same.
If the cause of this sadness is within, it needs happiness within to counter act it. But if you are upset with an unknown reason, some cosmetic changes around can bring smile to your face. Those sunless days, a temporary failure, a scolding from boss or mum, or simply nothing can make your days bad. But these bubble-like feelings are easy to suppress with just a bit of conscious efforts.
Some of the following ways of beating loneliness or dreariness mostly apply to everybody. You may pick the way that best suits you or tweak it as per your mood.
- Lighten up the room with white lights if you think darkness makes you feel gloomy.
- Cook food—treat yourself well by cooking exclusively for your own self.
- Watch some uplifting or comic movies.
- Put on music that you enjoy and let it play in the back ground for hours.
- Invite someone over for dinner or lunch. It gives a purpose to get engaged in an activity.
- Join a health club or a hobby class.
- Go for running or a lazy walk.
- Visit a children’s park or a school and watch kids playing.
- Spend time with old people and listen to their many interesting stories.
- Call up your loved ones and particularly people who have always been very supportive of you.
- Plan a trip to another city or country.
- Read some engaging book that also brings smile to your face. I recommend reading—Diary of a Nobody.
- De-clutter your room or simply decorate it with some DIY tips.
- Take a lovely shower; groom yourself up.
- If you have some mementos that symbolize happy days, go through them.
- Take a good nap but don’t overdo as excess sleep might make your mood dull.
- Write it down. If you are agitated about something, pour it on to a piece of paper and once you are done, throw it away.
- Make some donation to a charity or a NGO.
- Play some sport.
- Watch a play or attend a concert.
- Meet up with friends.
- Play an online game, just one set of it.
- Get a massage.
- Re-arrange the furniture of your room to give it a different look.
- Get up and do at least one of the above!
I try these all the times when my moods are beyond my control. Which one would you pick to hold on to your sanity?