This is a really easy and a very satisfying dish. It’s healthy and delicious and can be mixed in one bowl: the food processor!
- 3 large sweet potatoes (baked in their skin, cooled to touch and skin removed)
- 1 heaping cup shredded gruyere or good swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 eggs
After you have baked the potatoes and peeled the skin off, put potatoes, cheese and butter in food processor and blend until smooth. About 30 seconds. While processor is ON, add cream and spices. Add the eggs last and blend quickly (or pulse a few times).
Pour the soufflé mixture into a greased baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about thirty-five to forty-five minutes, depending on depth of dish. You’ll see that the mixture has risen and the top is slightly crusty. That’s when it’s ready. Its best eaten right away but I never waste this dish and always enjoy leftovers the next day. It will serve about four to six people.
Here are some tips:
- I like to shred the cheese myself because I find that the store bought shredded cheese is too ‘tough’ for a souffle.
- I add the eggs at the end because the butter and cheese will have melted and cooled more and the eggs blend in better when added at the end.