Have you ever found a really cute pair of shoes but they didn’t quite fit? You bought them anyway, didn’t you? Yeah, that’s what I thought!
Pinched toes and blistered heels are painful but lucky for you I have found the best DIY to stretch those babies out!
You will need to have a little bit of faith and patience but I promise it will be well worth the wait!
- Start by filling two resealable bags with water. Depending on how much you need to stretch your shoes will determine how much water you add. Try a half full bag and go from there.
- Put one bag in each shoe then place your shoes in the freezer. That’s right, the shoes go in the freezer! You may want to give your shoe bottoms a quick cleaning beforehand to keep everything clean and sanitary.
- Now’s the time when the magic happens. Let me break it down for you. When water freezes it expands and this is what you want happening in the tight section of your shoes. Make sure you give the water bags enough time to freeze all the way through; otherwise this whole process won’t do any good!
- Here’s the not-so-fun part; now that your shoes have been thoroughly frozen you need to take them out of the freezer and put them on. Yes ma’am, I said put your feet in those shoes and feel the Brrrrrrr-urn!
- As your body temperature warms up the shoes they will start to mold to your feet. This is when the stretching starts to set. All that hard work, patience and cold will be for something! Just be sure to wear your shoes until they are room temperature or you will have to repeat this entire process all over again.
Now that you’ve done that, you can take those newly stretched shoes out on the town. Show them off like the shoe gods intended!
If you’re like me, you’ve probably scoured the web looking for a great trick to stretch your shoes . You’ve also probably found some DIY’s that aren’t so great. That being said, I’d like to give the heads up on DIY’s to avoid.
First and foremost stay away from anything that involves a hair dryer. Many tricks suggest using a blow dryer to heat up the material, then slip them on to help stretch out the material. This however, is a big no-no. This intense amount of heat is more likely to ruin the material of your shoes than it is to stretch it.
Another so-called trick worth avoiding is the in-store stretching devices. Many shoe shops offer this service. The device they use looks like the shape of a foot and cranks open to stretch the shoe. Your shoe will end up poorly fitting your foot because the device only widens the shoe, and that's the last thing we ladies want.
So grab those ill-fitting shoes, throw them in the freezer, and give this DIY a try! You may just save yourself a whole bunch of money…money that you can then use to buy even more sexy high heels like my favourite, the Jessica Simpson Calie !