Horoscopes, psychics, tea leaves, magic 8-balls—we leave nothing unturned when trying to figure out who we are and what our future holds.
So, what about our hands? Our hands are pretty amazing. Proportionately, their operation takes up the most space in our brains and they are the most sensitive parts of our bodies. The nerve group that controls the hands lies in the very center of our brains and every electrical impulse of thought flows through that nerve center. The hand is thought to be a graphic representation of the circuits in our brain.
Palm readers “read” the hand’s blueprint to evaluate one’s character and destiny. If you’re curious about what your hands reveal, but aren’t quite ready to pay a visit to a palm reader yet, this information will be a good start.
The answer to this question is both; it just depends who you ask. Some schools use a man’s right hand and a woman’s left hand. Others say the dominant/active hand (the one you write with) shows the development of your personality as determined by the choices you’ve made, while the non-dominant hand sheds light on your inner nature. Some believe that the non-dominant/passive hand reveals information pertaining to your heredity, past lives, karma, and potential and that the active hand shows how you use these inherited traits and inner knowledge to shape your destiny.
The Shape of the Hand
There are four shapes used to classify hands and they’re related to the four elements—earth, air, water, and fire.
- broad, square palms with square, short fingers
- thick/coarse skin, ruddy color
- deep, clear, and straight lines
Earth hands belong to practical and stubborn who have a strong vitality and a close connection to the outdoors and nature. Many work with their hands and find comfort in tangible things. They are dependable, straightforward, and responsible.
- square or rectangular palms with long fingers
- low-set thumbs and dry skin
- thin, clear lines
Those with air hands are social, talkative, and intellectual types who seek change and mental stimulation. They can be restless and tend to do things in innovative ways.
- long, sometimes oval-shaped palms with long fingers
- soft, damp skin
- lots of fine lines, often unclear
Water hands belong to emotional, creative, and introverted types who are sensitive and perceptive. They can be vulnerable and a bit naïve. They tend to be quiet and make decisions based on gut feelings.
- square or rectangular palms with short fingers
- warm, flushed, pinkish skin
- lots of prominent lines
Those with fire hands are spontaneous, bold, and action-oriented types who take risks. They are extroverts who are very optimistic and enthusiastic. They are somewhat impulsive and very confident.
The Major Lines
The life line starts between the thumb and the index finger. It then curves down widely around the thumb until it touches the wrist. This line represents your health, vitality, and quality of life. It can also show major events in your life and how others affect you. Its length has nothing to do with how long you will live. If you have an extra life line, you have extra protection against ill health.
- Curvy – lots of energy
- Short or shallow – easily manipulated
- Break in line – sudden change in life
- Close to the thumb – not generous with time or love
- Circle interrupts line – injury or hospitalization
The top, horizontal line on your palm is the heart line; it starts from the edge of the hand where your pinky finger is and travels across the top of the palm. Many palm readers use this line to determine our romantic relationships. It can also indicate our actual cardiac health, emotional stability, and tendencies toward depression. Breaks in the love line can represent heartbreaks and breakups.
- Ends between fore and middle finger – falls in love easily
- Straight across the palm – even, controlled emotions
- Wavy – lots of lovers, but no serious relationships
- Straight and short – more about sex than romantic love
- Touches life line – frequently heartbroken
The head line is the horizontal line right below the heart line. It represents what kind of intelligence you possess and the way you communicate. A curved head line indicates a creative, spontaneous type while a straight line indicates a more practical and ordered approach to life. A clear line indicates focus; the longer the line, the more potential you have.
- Wavy – short attention span, little focus
- Straight – realistic
- Circle or cross in line – crisis
- Close to heart line – fearful, cautious nature, close-minded
- Far from heart line – confident, a risk taker, open-minded
This line begins at the bottom of the palm and travels upward toward the middle finger. It is also called the line of destiny. Often broken and overlapping other lines, it shows how much (or little) our lives are affected by external circumstances, like society, our friends and families, and world events.
- Strong and deep – very controlled by fate
- Breaks/changes in direction – prone to changes from outside forces
- Lines that cross fate line – others will affect your destiny
- Starts joined to life line – self-made individual
- Joins with life line – personal interests will be surrendered to those of others
- Starts at base of thumb and crosses life line – support from family and friends
This is just a small introduction to palmistry. To get the whole picture, factor in things like where you wear your rings, special characteristics of your thumbs, nails, and fingerprints, how flexible or rigid your hands are, and countless other nuances. Amazingly, the lines on our hands can change over time, so don’t get too pessimistic if your love life looks doomed—or overly optimistic if you read fame and fortune in your future. Nothing is set in stone and our choices matter as much as our lines.