If you are always afraid to do something, if you don’t have the inner impulse that makes you move and do something to defend what you think is right, you don’t have courage. In fact, you don’t have a life, because without courage life is martyrdom.
Courage is the feeling that you can win, the sense of responsibility you have when facing life’s many challenges, and the certainty that you have to keep going and you will get there no matter what, because you have no other option.
Courage is maturity and wisdom.
The opposite of courage, cowardice, means real death. A coward has no personality and no ideals.
Courage is something we need every day. We need it to do even the simplest things, but especially when we face serious problems and dangers.
It is power that increases with time and with every small success of our existence. Often times courage depends on your capacity to transform your suffering into victory and your pain into a moral lesson.
The definition of dictionary.com for the term “courage” is the following:
The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and resolution; bravery.
But how do you build this state or quality of mind or spirit?
It appears to be inherent. Some people have courage, while other people are always afraid to dare and try whatever.
How can someone that has no inclination to behave courageously acquire the impulse and the conviction necessary to act bravely?
If this is not a characteristic of your personality, you can build your courage by following these basic steps:
1. When you have to act bravely but you are afraid, instead of concentrating your attention on all the dangers you have to face, and the possibility of failure and its consequences, think about how bad you will feel if you don’t at least try and dare to do what you must because of the fear that paralyzes you.
2. Think about the fact that you have to do many things that you want to avoid in life, because this is indispensable for your survival. Think of it as a matter of life and death that can’t be avoided and how it is necessary to behave like a hero.
3. Then analyze all the dangers you have to face and all the possibilities of failure, and try to eliminate them by finding the solutions that will help you achieve your goals, or accept them in case everything goes wrong. This acceptance will prepare you to face bad situations and unpleasant results without fear.
4. When you are in a dangerous situation and you have to show courage, think how much time you will manage to escape from suffering and overcome all obstacles because this is a matter of life and death and you won’t let what is bad happen to you, while you sit back with your arms crossed, even if things are really very bad and salvation seems impossible. Your courage will give you power and inspiration. You may suddenly find a miraculous solution that you would never have thought about before.
5. Stay calm even when everything is horrible and you feel totally lost. Say to yourself that you’ll manage to get out of the horrible situation you are in, and you’ll feel free and happy again, once all this is over. You won’t die and this is not the end of the world. Tomorrow is another day, and new solutions may appear for you.
6. If you start being overcome by panic, think that the panic is provoked by the wild side of your conscience wanting to destroy your human side and control your behavior. Fight against the panic, bearing the awful sensations that dominate you without falling. If you resist, they will pass in a while, and you will feel fine again.
7. Always be resistant and always show courage in life, even when you are depressed and you feel you are dying, because human beings are capable of doing many things—we find many smart solutions in moments of danger and despair if we remain convinced that we will find salvation.
Everything basically depends on your faith. Trust your own power!
Everyone is capable of being a hero when necessary if they understand that this is very important and that there is no other solution.
When you put things this way, you fight to win, and you really win in the end, because you give all your energy on carrying on your heroic attempt to survive under unbearable conditions.
When the challenging moments are over, you will feel satisfied with yourself, because you had the courage to do what you needed to!