We all want to feel passion—that intensely charged arousal that makes our heart beat faster and causes us to lose track of time. In fact, one of the first things many of my coaching clients want to accomplish is to reconnect with their passion and purpose.
But how do you rouse and reconnect with those feelings of attraction, interest, infatuation, anticipation, and enthusiasm? Reconnecting with your passion is a three-step process. You do it by:
- Claiming your strengths. Your strengths are the natural abilities or aptitudes that are unique to you. The first step in awakening and unleashing your passion involves committing your focus to the naming and claiming of your strengths.
- Integrating your values. Your values are those qualities or interests that you’re naturally drawn to or that you appreciate. Identifying and integrating your values is the second step in re-igniting your passion.
- Stepping into your purpose. You begin to live passionately when you intentionally combine your strengths with your values and offer those gifts to others in the form of service each day.
One Thing to Think About
Passion is your heart’s recognition that you are in the midst of something native to your authentic self. In essence, your passion is ignited when you reconnect with what you were made to do and who you were made to be. The intense joy associated with living passionately is a direct result of living authentically.
One Question to Answer
How long has it been since you took on the day with unbridled enthusiasm? Can you recall the last time you experienced intense excitement or pure joy? Are you a passionate person? If so, what are you passionate about? If not, are you ready to heat things up?
One Challenge to Take
We will discuss each of the three steps in detail in the next few posts. But understanding the nuts and bolts of strength, values, and purposeful service will only take you halfway down the road of passion. You complete your journey when you commit to adopting this intentional approach to living.
Fortunately, completion is very simple. You only need to define your recipe for success and dedicate yourself to creating opportunities to experience your purposeful delicacy each day. Your recipe goes like this: strengths + values x service = passionate, purposeful living.
For today, I want you to think about your life as it is now. How well does your life give you the opportunity to use your strengths, live your values and serve your purpose? Answer this question by rating each statement below from 1 to 5, with 1 being Not st All and 5 being To the Fullest Extent.
1. I am able to demonstrate and use my strengths to their best advantage in every aspect of my life.
2. My lifestyle and choices reflect my values—the feelings, priorities and beliefs that are most important to me.
3. I feel that my life serves my highest purpose—I am able to combine my strengths and values and use them to serve others.