Much has been written about the benefits of drinking wine. To add to it, a new study has recently been published that has some people believing that women who drink a moderate amount of wine on a regular basis can actually lose weight.
That would be sweet music to the ears of baby-boomer women who are sensitive to weight gain and enjoy their daily glass of merlot.
The study, which surveyed almost twenty thousand women, was conducted at Boston’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital. It tracked women’s drinking habits over the course of thirteen years and found that although all the women gained weight, those who regularly drank a moderate amount of wine gained the least amount.
So, how do some women lose weight?
Drinking a glass of wine instead of eating a sugary or fat-laden snack provides fewer calories.
Alcohol consumption is such a hot topic among medical experts that the following warnings quickly surfaced:
- A moderate amount of alcohol is a four- to five-ounce glass of wine per day.
- Women should not start drinking wine as a way to lose weight.
- More than one or two glasses of wine per day can actually cause weight gain.
- Heavy drinking of alcohol has been linked to different types of cancer, liver problems, brain problems, and weakening of the heart muscle.
- The liver processes alcohol, and over a period of time, too much alcohol can cause liver damage.
- Women metabolize alcohol differently than men and should not consume as much.
So, if weight loss is your goal, the only surefire method is a healthy lifestyle that includes nutritious food and exercise. A glass of wine can enhances your meal experience, but remember, only one.
By Natasha Morgan of NotJusttheKitchen